I hope you and your loved ones are doing well. I know many of us are feeling anxious during these uncertain times.
My wife Leiba and I are busy juggling Zoom meeting calls and keeping the kids happy with their school work and free time. Amidst the juggle I’ve found a little time to read my favorite passages from The Earth Speaks in my new remote office (aka my backyard). I posted it on Facebook.
I wanted update you on what we’re working on at the Cooper Center:
• Camp Cooper staff have been collaborating remotely to roll out digital science content to share with our audience of teachers, students and parents in the coming weeks. The aim is to supplement science education for remote learners.
• Camp staff are also keeping in touch with our Earthkeepers-in-training and continuing curriculum development for our new preschool and high school programs.
• Our campus outreach team, dedicated to helping University students live more sustainably, are collaborating with other campus groups to talk about nutrition and the environment.
• In mid-April, Campus Outreach will host an online student seminar about sustainability in the apparel industry.
• Together we are planning for the coming fall and next spring - knowing that as students return to classroom learning, the need for the unique environmental education that we provide at Camp Cooper will be stronger than ever.
Traditionally we hold our big crowdfunding campaign in April, raising more than $30,000 for operations and staffing. Given all that’s going on right now, we feel it’s better to wait until the current crisis is over.
That said, some of our supporters have asked what they can do to help now.
While Cooper is on solid footing, our primary need during this uncertain time is to retain our outstanding staff so that we can resume programs when the shut down ends.
If you can help, you can make an online donation here — but please don’t feel any pressure. We know this is a challenging time. If you donate, be sure to select “Cooper Center Operations” when making your gift.
Know that our whole team is thinking of you, and wishing you well. Do let us know how you are doing if you have the time.
Peace and health,
Colin Waite, Director